Wednesday, September 28, 2011

New friend

So I'm back to life in Korea, and things are settling back into the old routine.. teaching all day, having kimchi and rice lunches, playing soccer (or as I've come to call it thanks to the British influence, "footy,") and hanging out in my favorite Daegu locale (Costco, duh).  Things were going along swimmingly, and it looked like it would be a term much like the last, then she happened (cue foreboding music):




















         (This space is inserted to help build the tension.)




































      (Is it working?)
























    (Probably not if you have a really big monitor.)



















    (Here it comes!)












AAAHHHHHH!

I was walking home from this little Korean joint called Starbucks, through the urban farm behind my house (see earlier posting) when I heard this pathetic little squeaking.  I looked around, and saw this little rascal trying to get to me through some thick weeds.  She was so small that she kept stumbling and getting stuck in the brush.  Well, I couldn't just go about my business in the face of such desperation, so I grabbed her and took her around to the neigbouring houses.  Everyone told me they had no idea where she'd come from, and I couldn't just leave her in the farm/trash heap, so she ended up in my apartment.

I was going to write about my vacillations, my doubt, my turmoil about having a pet in a studio apartment in a foreign country, how she'd undoubtedly put a hitch in my travel plans (i.e. world domination), be an added and unneccessary cost, and how she'd be bored in my apartment all day.  While all those things are likely true, I started writing this blog over a month ago (oops).  And in that month, she's grown on me a lot (and grown a lot physically.  She's more than doubled in size according to the vet).  It's come to the point where I can't imagine parting from her, even though she keeps me up all night and likes to destroy things in my apartment (boredom thwarted).  Fact is, I think I love the little rascal.  So, welcome to the family Goa!


No comments:

Post a Comment